ARCHITECTURAL ANIMATION & FLYTHROUGHS
Our architectural animation service marries the visual artistry of film with architecture to produce truly compelling materials. Whether you want to take your customers or stakeholders on a tour inside your property’s hallways and rooms, or offer them a bird’s eye view of the entire property, at Ocean CGI we can produce engaging, lifelike architectural animation.
WHAT IS ARCHITECTURAL ANIMATION?
Architectural animation brings another layer of immersion to CGI images and assets by introducing movement. Whereas CGI provides the still images, animation enhances realism and atmosphere, and shows stakeholders what it would be like to actually walk through these spaces and properties in real-time, before they’re even built.
This unique point of view is beneficial particularly for marketing and pre-selling. The animation makes homes and buildings more appealing by presenting spaces in a stylish and engaging way: the way sunlight bounces off the sleek windows of an upscale flat, or how shadows tilt and play with a room’s ambiance as day transitions into night. Animated walk-throughs give clients a sense of spatial complexity sometimes lacking in photos. The clips capture life, imagined in full swing.
Our clients are varied and have many different needs for using animated CGI.
- Advertising agencies can utilise dynamic clips to bring a property to the fore in their commercials, increasing recall.
- Architectural firms can use animations to bring onboard clients who may not have the background to appreciate technical qualities of buildings and its features.
- Schools or research organisations can use animated videos to help raise funding – investors may feel more charitable when they can visualise the dream they’re helping to build.
- The manufacturing industry can use it to get a singular, sweeping view on potentially millions of square feet of factory and production plant.
- Civil engineers can spot inconsistencies before construction, critical in large projects when even one correction can be costly.
Architectural animation’s usefulness extends even beyond the confines of walls. Architects planning outdoor projects like amusement parks or sports arenas can use the videos for initial proposal phases, even for early marketing purposes. Moving footage can help developers see the relationship of the terrain with structures, and adapt accordingly.
CHURCH FARM SOMERSET
Fly through animation of a traditionally styled development at Church Farm in Rode, Somerset.
STOWE SCHOOL SCIENCE BUILDING
A fundraising animation for Stowe School’s planned renovations to their science building. This development was completed in 2018.
CRMI RESEARCH HONG KONG
A virtual animation of the proposed CRMI research facility in Hong Kong, commissioned by Exmoor Pharma.
HOW WE WORK
Architectural animations are made of thousands of CGI stills, created through our powerful in-house render farm, and composited to create movie-like clips. We can edit into the video realistic elements such as moving cars and vehicles, animation of day turning into night, even people.
To capture the all the details of your vision, we begin with storyboarding, building from your designs and preferred camera paths, then refining elements like lighting, shadows, and colour contrast to dramatically increase realism. Architectural animated video can be made entirely from CGI images, or you can choose to intersperse it with live action footage, before we add graphic overlays and music for a truly impactful finished product.
Our process is collaborative – we regularly send screenshots during production to ensure that each element is rendered to your specifications.
- Provide us with your designs and a list of key areas or a specific camera path. We’ll build a basic model and mock up some dynamic cameras, showing you a preview movie to confirm the path and areas covered.
- Once you’ve approved the massing and camera path, we’ll add lighting and use your material schedule to recreate the proposal’s design
- We’ll send over some rendered screenshots for every 25th frame of animation and once you’re happy with the general ‘look’, we’ll add detail such as people, furniture and soft landscaping
- Once we’re ready to render, we’ll issue a non-rendered wireframe movie, fully edited with, if required, animated people, credits, graphics and music.
- Once approved, we can post the job to our powerful in-house render farm which will render the thousands of frames of animation.
- These ‘raw’ animation frames are then refined in a compositing suite to balance colour and add contrast.
- The fully rendered animation is exported into a suitable file format and delivered to you. If you are hosting the video on a dedicated website, we can liaise with your design or web team to optimize for download speed and social media posting.
We create architectural 3D models with physically accurate materials. These can also include 3D cars, trees and planting. These are then rendered and post processed for colour correction and to add details such as people.
Using your plans, we create detailed architectural 3D models and use your material schedules, lighting plans and interior designs to create photo-realistic interior renders. We can even model up bespoke furnishings and fittings.
For sensitive planning applications, you may need to show your development in context of a photograph. Using real-world survey / scanning techniques, we can demonstrate accuracy of the image(s) in your submission.
Using photography taken by us or supplied by you, we can match the CGI lighting and position to the source photography. Once rendered, we mask areas of the CGI to create a convincing re-imagined photograph.
For marketing, fundraising or public consultation, a fly-through animation can communicate an entire development’s scale, design and function. This can also include music, graphics and credits or be included in an overall video presentation.
360° IMAGES / VIRTUAL REALITY
We render 360° panoramas of richly detailed 3D scenes. These can then be used with 3rd party applications / plugins to create ‘street-view’ style dynamic images. These can also be rendered in stereo for use with VR headsets.